Friday, February 12, 2010

World Poverty Will Not Be Cut In Half By 2015


Halving World Poverty By 2015 Unlikely: UN -- AFP

ADDIS ABABA — The chances of reducing world poverty by half by 2015 are increasingly less likely owing to inadequate plans by states and the global economic crisis, a UN report released in Ethiopia said.

Halving global poverty by 2015 is one of United Nations' eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) aimed at improving livelihoods across the world.

"Even before the onset of the current global financial and economic crisis, the world had not been on track to meet MDG 1 by 2015," said the report referring to the first MDG.

Read more ....

My Comment: Poverty, lack of freedom in speech, lack of free markets, social/religious/cultural intolerance, government corruption and a lack of accountability .... the list is long on why the goal on cutting poverty has not been reached. But it is still a worthy goal, and we must always strive to do better .... we at least owe that to our children.

2 comments:

Solomon said...

Congratulations.

With one article you have affected my entire day. Caused me to re-evaluate my outlook on life. Caused me to be personally ashamed. To find that although I consider myself courageous and bold to be find that I have at times been pretty dog-gone small.

Thanks. I needed this.

College Research Papers said...

A great article indeed and a very detailed, realistic and superb analysis of the scenarios. I would like to thank the author of this article for contributing such a lovely and mind-opening article.