Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Photos Of An Abandoned Soviet Military Base


Dead Towns Of Kola -- English Russia

Kola peninsula is a cape in North-Western Russia. This region borders Norway and Finland and has direct access to the Northern Ocean. Because of it’s prevailing strategic position it was valued much by Russian army and hundreds of army bases were placed on the peninsula.

During 1990s Russian army got tremendous budget cut off and had to cut its costs. One of the way to save for the army was to give up some bases and concentrate bases from bordering locations to one. So it was done and many of the army bases were abandoned.

Read more
....

Hat Tip: ELP Defens(c)e Blog

My Comment: In 1992 I went to visit my uncle in St. Petersburg. He had lost his job the previous year (Director of a military communications/satellite department), and was unemployed. When I met him, I was surprised to see a man who was once proud of his work and position .... to being a broken man who was dependent on alcohol to make his days go by. Later in my visit he took to the place where he and thousands of others worked .... what I saw was a collection of abandoned buildings on one side, and on the other side a development project to build a huge shopping mall. It was on that day that I realized that the Soviet Union/Russia was no longer a threat to the West .... sighhh ..... and looking at the abandon buildings of Kola reminds me of that day.

No comments: