Friday, January 6, 2012

Why Is President Obama Willing To Share U.S. Missile Defense Secrets With Russia.

A RIM-161 Standard Missile (SM-3) is launched from the Aegis cruiser USS Lake Erie. Wikipedia

Inside The Ring -- Bill Gertz, The Washington Times

President Obama signaled Congress this week that he is prepared to share U.S. missile defense secrets with Russia.

In the president’s signing statement issued Saturday in passing into law the fiscal 2012 defense authorization bill, Mr. Obama said restrictions aimed at protecting top-secret technical data on U.S. Standard Missile-3 velocity burnout parameters might impinge on his constitutional foreign policy authority.

Read more ....

My Comment: The SM-3 missile system is probably one of America`s secrets that no one (in my opinion) should have ... even our allies. It plays a crucial role in the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System, and it has a proven and successful track record.

But I am not the President, and President Obama has made the decision that the U.S. will share these secrets with Russia. While I doubt that Russia will ever be a threat to us in my lifetime .... concerns about such secrets being filtered out by disgruntled and (easily bribed) Russians to others .... China and Iran to name a few .... are probably justified. But I guess the President is looking at the big picture, and for him right now it is imperative that the Russians are on our side. I can only hope that the Russians will reciprocate .... but for reason .... I have my doubts.

No comments: