Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Flying A B-2



We Fly A B-2 Stealth Bomber -- Popular Mechanics

More people have been to space than have flown in a B-2 stealth bomber. PopMech gets an extremely rare ride, flying a B-2 training mission and going behind the scenes to meet the people (and dogs) who've kept the B-2 at the forefront of American power projection for 20 years.

I Am Spirit 544

I never expected to step inside the cockpit of a B-2 Spirit, the Pentagon's long-range stealth bomber. So you can imagine the shock of being at 27,000 feet and hearing an Air Force pilot tell me over the cockpit intercom, "Okay, you have the jet."

I place one suddenly damp left hand on the throttle and the right on the stick, taking nominal control of a $2 billion aircraft. There are only 20 B-2s in the Air Force arsenal, including a second B-2 flying formation with us, slicing through clouds a scant 4 miles ahead. It occurs to me that with some exceptionally bad luck, I could endanger one-tenth of the American B-2 fleet and cause a rebalance in global military power.

Read more
.....

My Comment: That must have been one cool ride.

No comments: