Troops could stay three to five years longer than previously announced, the official said (file photo)
Our Troops Could Be In Afghanistan Until 2019: Astonishing Revelation From A Senior Military Source As Cameron Pays A Surprise Visit To British Forces -- Daily Mail
* Senior official says soldiers will be needed for extra three to five years
* Prime Minister visited frontline troops to mark British Armed Forces Day
* He has announced plans for a permanent Afghan war memorial in the UK
* UK plans to end combat operations in the country in December 2014
* Taliban prisoners to be released into the Afghan military under peace deal
* Cameron later flew on to Islamabad for talks with the Pakistani President
British soldiers will be in Afghanistan until the end of the decade – five years later than expected, a senior military source said last night.
Troops had been widely expected to withdraw at the conclusion of combat operations next year.
But as David Cameron paid a surprise visit to the country yesterday, the source warned that it would take ‘a further three to five years’ after 2014 to help the Afghans regain control of their country.
Read more ....
Update #1: Britain will have to support Afghan National Army 'long after' 2014 -- The Telegraph
Update #2: Afghan Army May Need NATO Support Until 2020, U.K. Official Says -- Bloomberg Businessweek
My Comment: British PM Cameron is still sticking to his pull-out date.