Wednesday, April 23, 2014

President Obama And Sushi Diplomacy



Obama's Japan Visit Kicks Off With Dreams Of Sushi -- Christian Science Monitor

Before tackling weightier matters, Obama and Prime Minister Abe dined at a 10-seat restaurant where the world's top sushi chef decides the menu – and you don't want to know the cost.

Tokyo’s sushi restaurants have been the setting for countless business deals. But for two special guests at Sukiyabashi Jiro on Wednesday evening, mouthfuls of melt-in-the-mouth tuna, squid, and octopus were the culinary backdrop to discussing urgent matters of regional security.

Soon after Air Force One touched down here, Barack Obama found himself in Tokyo’s upmarket Ginza district, tucked behind the counter of arguably the world’s best sushi restaurant with his Japanese host, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Sukiyabashi Jiro’s modest size – it has just 10 seats – is inversely proportionate to its reputation.

Most Japanese, even those flush enough not to break into a cold sweat when presented with the bill, can only dream of eating there. The 19-piece special course, featuring a selection chosen by owner Jiro Ono, costs around $300, not including drinks.

Read more ....

Update: Obama Is Eating At The Legendary 'Jiro Dreams Of Sushi' Restaurant -- Business Insider

My Comment: OMG! I ate at this restaurant four years ago. My Japanese host and friend brought us there for dinner  .... and I had no idea on what I was going to experience. I remember it being a very small restaurant, and I had the 19-piece special course .... and each piece was fantastic. The sauce .... the rice .... the taste .... the saki .... the atmosphere .... everything was perfect. It was only later .... when I got back home .... that I learned how lucky I was.

No comments: