Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Personal Commentary On Today`s Shootings In Ottawa

Armed RCMP officers head towards the Langevin Block on Parliament Hill following a shooting incident in Ottawa October 22, 2014. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Ottawa Shooting: How An Oasis Of Tranquility Became Breeding Ground For Terrorists -- The Telegraph

As second soldier shot in two days, why is Canada being targeted by Islamic extremists?

For the second time in three days Canada has been appalled and shocked by an attack on a soldier by a suspected Islamic terrorist.

Once a byword for international peace and prosperity, the “other” Northern American nation is now suffering from attacks hitherto confined to Western nations known as being more active on the international stage.

While the facts of the latest shooting are still being established, here is what we know about Canada’s links to terrorism.

Canada is under attack:

With the shooting dead of a soldier at the Ottawa War Memorial, and the Parliament put under lockdown, Canadians can not escape the fact that they have become targets. The soldier was the second to be murdered in three days, meaning the Canadian authorities must now fear this is the start of a coordinated campaign of terror and will be braced for further assaults over the coming days and weeks.

Read more ....

My Comment: Regular readers of this blog know that I am a Canadian living in Montreal. I became a citizen because I love the peace and tranquility of the country, it`s laws, economic opportunities, tolerance, it`s freedoms .... and .... being a nature lover .... a perfect place to love the outdoors.

But today`s attack is not a surprise to me. When I moved into my first apartment in Montreal (1990s), I learned only after his arrest that the Millennium Bomber lived a short distance from my home .... and that is when I became fully aware that some of Canada`s immigrants may have a different agenda from someone like myself who wanted a different and better life.

But today`s attack on Parliament Hill hits me personally. I have friends who work there, and I have been there on more than one occasion. I have a great deal of respect for this incredible Canadian institution .... it is the symbol of a free and tolerant Canada. That is why it was attacked today .... and that is why many Canadians are in shock today.

Fortunately .... all of my friends who work there are OK .... but they are telling me that everything is now on lock-down and the situation is still tense (as of 13:55 EST). I am naturally talking to everyone right now .... so blogging will be light for the next few hours. But rest assure .... as more news becomes available .... I will be posting it.

Update: I will be posting a full recap at 18:00 EST

3 comments:

Buick93 said...

I hope no one else is hurt, and I'm sorry for your nation's loss.

LoneWolf Media said...

As a government security guard who works downtown - the city is still on lockdown. Swat teams are still in full gear, K-9 units are abound and military helo's can be seen overhead. Their is talk of a second shooter.

War News Updates Editor said...

Jason .... a long long time ago when I was very very young I moonlighted in Moscow as a security guard in a government building (16:00 to 23:59 shift). I know what you are going through.