Sunday, September 6, 2015

Can You Spot The Sniper?

Bundeswehr sniper team in position, Kunduz Province, Afghanistan. Wikipedia

Slate: See if you can find the camouflaged German sniper pointing a gun directly at you

Simon Menner contacted the German army in 2010 to see whether it would be interested in helping him create images in which members of the army are hidden, or, "Camouflage," like the title of his series. Turns out they were, and the images ended up going viral.

Menner arranged two separate shoots, one in a "boring" forest in northern Germany with soldiers who were young and inexperienced. The second shoot, in the German Alps, was done with a group of elite soldiers.

"I found it quite interesting to work with soldiers who had been ordered to follow my instructions," Menner wrote via email. "I tried to be as respectful to them as possible, but nothing of what I told them was questioned in any way."

WNU Editor: I did not spot them.

6 comments:

James said...

I got a little more than half of which means I'm getting old and of course quite dead.

Unknown said...

It was easy. I stop them on 5 pictures.

CatholicDragoon said...

After I got a handle after the first one, which only proves that a sniper needs to make the first shot.

Unknown said...

I spotted that rifle and his spotter instantly. But at 800 yards forget it!

James said...

Mike,
Your right, examining a photo that's within 100yds vs 800+ yds real world is a whole different ball game. Which means unfortunately I would still be quite dead.

James said...

Dragoon,
I also noticed that most of these position were what you might call "one shot spots". They were by and large in very open areas with almost no avenues of concealed retreat and movement. Against veterans you'd get the first shot, but that might be it.