Thursday, July 21, 2016
China Warns Philippines Of 'Confrontation' On The South China Sea Dispute
The Guardian/Reuters: South China Sea dispute: Philippines says China has warned of 'confrontation'
Foreign minister says Beijing refuses to discuss recent court ruling which rejected claims to almost all of South China Sea
The Philippines has turned down a Chinese proposal to start bilateral talks, its foreign minister said on Tuesday, because of Beijing’s pre-condition of not discussing a court ruling that nullified most of its South China Sea claims.
Perfecto Yasay said he had met his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on the sidelines of a summit of Asian and European leaders on the weekend and after raising the topic of last week’s ruling, it became clear that was a no-go area.
China has angrily rejected the verdict by the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the initial case as illegal and farcical. It has repeatedly said it will not change its approach or its sovereignty claims in the South China Sea.
Read more ....
WNU Editor: The Philippines respond .... Philippines flips the pig nickel finger at China (The Australian).
Update: China is also warning Australia .... China warns Australia not to join US patrols in South China Sea (The Australian).