Wednesday, August 17, 2016

U.S.-Backed Syrian Forces Gave Defeated Islamic State Fighters Safe Passage From Manbij

USA Today: U.S.-backed Syrian forces gave defeated ISIL militants safe passage

Islamic State fighters surrounded during the key battle for Manbij, Syria, last week agreed to surrender their weapons to U.S.-backed Syrian forces in return for safe passage out of the embattled city, a senior defense official said Tuesday. It was the first such agreement with the terror group.

The exhausted and demoralized militants were using civilians as human shields, which is why the U.S.-backed fighters agreed to let them flee Manbij after three months of intense fighting and near constant aerial bombardment by the U.S.-led coalition.

The U.S. official, who was not authorized to discuss battle details, said the Islamic State fighters surrendered after being surrounded by the Syrian Democratic Forces, fighters recruited and trained by the U.S.-led coalition.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: After the fall of Manbij, Kurdish forces are now focusing on their next target .... IS conflict: Syria's Kurds set sights on al-Bab after fall of Manbij (BBC).

More News On U.S.-Backed Syrian Forces Giving Defeated Islamic State Fighters Safe Passage From Manbij

Hundreds of ISIS vehicles were allowed to leave Syrian city -- AP
Syria ISIS fighters drop weapons and agree to leave safely in first-ever surrender to U.S. forces -- New York Daily News
US held fire on ISIS convoy in Syria over civilian casualty concerns -- The Hill
US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces allowed convoy of Isis militants to leave Manbij -- IBTimes

No comments: