Barack Obama was shown around the Acropolis in Athens today by Eleni Banou (left) an antiquities expert from the Greek Culture Ministry, on his last trip abroad as US President. Later he will travel to Germany, the economic powerhouse of Europe
Daily Mail: 'The only way forward is democracy... even though you don't always win!' Obama tries to look on the bright side in the wake of Trump's election victory as he gives a speech in the birthplace of democracy
* Barack Obama is on his last ever foreign trip as US President - visiting Greece and Germany later in the week
* He was given a tour of the Acropolis, which has sat on a hilltop above Athens since the fifth century BC
* The Acropolis complex includes the Parthenon, the Erechtheum and several ancient temples to Athena
* During press conference Obama said Donald Trump's victory was a reaction against economic uncertainty
* He then gave a speech in the birthplace of democracy about the importance of accepting 'people power'
* Obama said: 'People should be free to choose their own leaders – even if your candidate doesn't always win'
President Barack Obama, speaking in the birthplace of democracy, has talked of the importance of respecting the choice of the people only days after the election of Donald Trump and said, 'The future will be OK'.
The audience in the Greek capital, Athens, laughed when the outgoing president said: 'People should be free to choose their own leaders – even if your candidate doesn't always win.'
But he was making a serious point and added: 'Progress follows a winding path, sometimes forwards sometimes back, but as long as we retain our faith in democracy, our faith in the people, then our future will be OK.'
He admitted he and the President-Elect 'could not be more different' but he assured Americans he would work with Trump's team in the coming weeks to ensure a smooth handover of power, adding: 'That's how democracy has to work.'
Read more ....
WNU Editor:I am sure he is seeing this in the distance .... Barack Obama’s visit to Greece triggers riots as anarchists try to breach cordon around U.S. embassy (AP).