Sunday, March 19, 2017

Germany Rejects President Trump's Claims It Owes NATO And US 'Vast Sums' For Defence

Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel and U.S. President Donald Trump, Washington, U.S., March 17, 2017. © Jonathan Ernst / Reuters

ABC News Online: Germany rejects Donald Trump's claims it owes NATO and US 'vast sums' for defence

German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen has rejected US President Donald Trump's claim that Germany owes NATO and the United States "vast sums" of money for defence.

"There is no debt account at NATO," Ms von der Leyen said in a statement, adding that it was wrong to link the alliance's target for members to spend 2 per cent of their economic output on defence by 2024 solely to NATO.

"Defence spending also goes into UN peacekeeping missions, into our European missions and into our contribution to the fight against IS terrorism," Ms von der Leyen said.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: Germany is pledging to meet the 2% economic output requirement for NATO members to spend on defense by 2024 .... but President Trump wants the money to be spent now. I can understand why President Trump feels this way .... the idea that an economic powerhouse like Germany is not prioritising its spending on defence .... while warning at the same time that Russia is in an expansionist phase in eastern Europe .... is one contradiction too many for him.

Germany Rejects President Trump's Claims It Owes NATO And US 'Vast Sums' For Defence

Germany Rejects Donald Trump’s Claim That It ‘Owes Vast Sums of Money’ to NATO, U.S. -- NBC
German Defense Ministry contradicts Trump, says it doesn’t owe U.S. money for NATO -- Washington Post
'No debt at NATO', German Ministry says after Trump tweets -- IANS
Germany Trades Barbs With Trump on Defense After Merkel Meeting -- Bloomberg
Germany Hits Back at President Trump’s Claim That It Owes U.S. ‘Vast Sums’ of Money -- Fortune

2 comments:

Jac said...

WNU,
I agree with you. I like Germans but they want the butter and the money of the butter. They usually pretty realistic and I don't understand their position now.
The problem, Germany is a leader in Europe and what they do is a landmark for other European countries. They have the means for the target more than any other European countries and their reluctant position is a disaster. Worse than that: since Bill Clinton ALL the American Presidents had a talk for this problem and Europe seem death...and that's unnerving!
America is paying 70% of the NATO bill, are the other's only 30%?
I'm born in Europe, but I feel they just deserve to deal with themselves and they will discover how much America was very nice with them.

Aizino Smith said...

Merkel is a lucky, spoiled brat.

She was groomed because she was a woman and an East German. Once she was strong enough, she did in Kohl. It was the whole reaching out, crossing the aisle type of thing. Merkel was fast tracked.

Merkel is unimaginative and not too bright.

The study of birthrate and the factors that lead to it have been statistically studied by the Fed.

But a conventional, by the book establishment type like Merkel is too Goddamned stupid to want to read it or believe it.

Instead the turd resorts to importing incompatible & hostile people.

Merkel will succeed, where Hitler failed. The bitch will destroy the German people.

Hitler supposedly said that if Germany could not rule, then it belonged in the ash heap of history. What is known is that he ordered the subway tunnels flooded. It would have killed many civilians and many wounded soldiers.