Commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet Admiral Scott Swift sits in front of a large poster of an Australian Navy frigate as he speaks during a media conference at the 2015 Pacific International Maratime Exposition in Sydney, Australia, October 6, 2015. REUTERS/David Gray/File Photo
Reuters: No change to U.S. Navy freedom of navigation patrols: commander
There has been no policy change with regard to U.S. Navy freedom of navigation operations under the administration of President Donald Trump, U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Scott Swift said on Monday.
Under the previous administration, the U.S. navy conducted such voyages through the South China Sea - most of which is claimed by China - angering Beijing. But none has been conducted in the region under the Trump administration.
The New York Times reported last week that a U.S. Pacific Command request in March to sail near the disputed Scarborough Shoal, a prime fishing ground that China seized in 2012, was rejected by top Pentagon officials.
Two other requests by the Navy in February were also turned down, it said.
Read more ....
WNU Editor: They may say that there is no change .... but the White House has "torpedoed" three requests since the beginning fo the North Korean crisis.
More News On The U.S. Navy Saying That There Is No Change To U.S. Navy Freedom Of Navigation Patrols In the South China Sea
U.S. Will Still Test Beijing's South China Sea Claims, Navy Says -- Bloomberg
US Freedom of Navigation Challenges in South China Sea on Hold -- The Diplomat
Trump’s Pentagon Blocks US Navy Missions in Disputed South China Sea -- Sputnik
Is US steering clear of South China Sea under Trump? -- Barbara Starr and Ben Westcott, CNN