Sunday, August 12, 2018

The F-35 Program In One Graphic

(Click on Image to Enlarge)

Breaking Defense: F-35: The World’s Biggest Weapons Program in One Graphic

More than a decade in the making, F-35 Lightning program is transforming air defense for the United States and its strategic partners.

More than a decade in the making, F-35 Lightning program is transforming air defense for the United States and its strategic partners.

These fifth-generation fighters are delivering the versatility and advanced technology to ensure air superiority for decades to come. Offering three variants — the F-35A (conventional takeoff and landing), F-35B (short takeoff and vertical landing), and F-35C (catapult-assisted takeoff arrested recovery) — the single-seat, single-engine aircraft are in demand across the globe.

Read more ....

4 comments:

jac said...

I wish all of that would be true....air to air dominance? F22 is good for that, but it is becoming old (already) and with a ridiculous number. I pray God for being wrong.

Roger Smith said...


Am I incorrect that typically two missiles are fired at a target rather than one? If this is correct this thing isn't impressive and carrying external weapons diminishes it's stealth.
I experienced a demo for several suits when I was in the service. It featured the M16 and the standard hand held firearms available to infantry at the time, 1967. I thought to myself at the time how could anyone survive such a storm of lead? Well, I can assure you the Viets did. Lots of them. And this was not because the stinking things jammed, which they also did.
So when Raytheon spends who knows how many millions to try and convince me this thing is the second coming I recall my 8th grade history teacher, Mr. Rudolf Romischer. With this man all that was missing was the "Von". He used to say "Talk's cheap". The best two word phrase in my life and often used.

Anonymous said...

I hope the f35 program only gets a bad wrap, but I think not. I think it is the single biggest mistake the procurement people, program people and everyone else ever made in this business. It's so freaking expensive, so unproven, and already aging - that puppy is already several years old. To put that much money into a program that overuns and overruns and no one gets disciplined, fired.. at least not from what I've read. If I had a company that delivered too late, SO much over budget, I would not only be fired, but people would investigate left and right where exactly the money went. It certainly didn't go into the plane. It's not a trillion dollar awesome plane. It's maybe as good as the F22, maybe. (I know I know, platform system and what not, but that's not what counts when your enemy shoots at you.. I don't think this system convinces anyone and the "they won't see us" won't be happening against China or Russia.. so who is this aimed for? Iran? You could swipe of Iran with F22s EASY! What is the F35 for? Which adversary/enemy?)

Anon #87 said...

" Over a decade in the making ".

Yeah, THREE friggin' decades! The F-35 began under various studies and projects that were started right after Gulf War 1 and combined into this golden rice bowl monstrosity in the mid-1990s.

The F-35 is a F-111 times three.