Saturday, June 8, 2019

These Children Want To Know Why Their Fathers Never Talked Of The War



New York Times: Their Fathers Never Spoke of the War. Their Children Want to Know Why.

NEW ORLEANS — All his life, Joseph Griesser hungered to hear the story of his father’s Army service in World War II.

What he had were vague outlines: that Lt. Frank Griesser had splashed onto Omaha Beach on D-Day; that his lifelong pronounced limp had come from an artillery blast. But the details? They remained largely unspoken until the day his father died in 1999, leaving Mr. Griesser wishing he knew more.

“He never talked about it; I just knew he was injured in the war,” said Mr. Griesser, who lives in Stone Harbor, N.J. “We went to see the movie ‘The Longest Day’ together, but that was pretty much the extent of our conversation about the war. I think he just wanted to put it behind him.”

Many of the Americans who fought to crush the Axis in World War II came home feeling the same way — so many, in fact, that those lauded as the Greatest Generation might just as easily be called the Quietest.

Where did they serve? What did they do and see? Spouses and children often learned not to ask. And by now, most no longer have the chance: Fewer than 3 percent of the 16 million American veterans of the war are still alive, and all are in their 90s or beyond.

But that has not kept their children and grandchildren from wanting to know their stories, especially as the 75th anniversaries of the D-Day invasion and the other triumphs of the war’s final year have neared. And a growing number of them are turning to experts to help glean what they can from cryptic, yellowed military records.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: War is a very personal experience. In my case I was fortunate. My father talked about the war only when he was drunk with his war buddies, and when he did I always kept my ears open. Sighhhh .... war makes people do terrible things. I made a request a year ago for my father's service file when he was in the Soviet military during the war. I am still waiting, but I feel confident that if I pull a string or two I will eventually get it.

3 comments:

Bob Huntley said...

...

fred said...

Not just the war...children of Holocaust survivors find their parents often do not talk of that period in their lives...by contrast, those living through the Great Depression often do to give a lesson or two to their children

Gadfly Speck said...

The comments in the NYT are worth reading too.