Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Twitter And Facebook Accuse China Of Using Fake Accounts To Undermine Hong Kong Protests



CNBC: Facebook, Twitter accuse China of running disinformation campaign against Hong Kong protesters

* Twitter and Facebook have suspended numerous accounts that are believed to be tied to a state-backed disinformation campaign originating from inside China.
* Facebook said it took down several pages, groups and accounts involved in the activity, while Twitter suspended 936 accounts associated with the misinformation campaign.
* Twitter is also barring state-controlled news media entities from advertising on the platform.

Twitter and Facebook have suspended numerous accounts that they say are tied to a Chinese disinformation campaign against pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

Twitter said Monday it suspended 936 accounts likely related to the activity. The company said the disinformation campaign was designed to “sow political discord in Hong Kong, including undermining the legitimacy and political protest movement on the ground.”

Read more ....

WNU Editor: China has responded .... China accuses Twitter & Facebook of censorship over Hong Kong protest criticism (RT).

More News On Twitter And Facebook Accusing China Of Hong Kong Disinformation Campaign

Twitter, Facebook accuse China of using fake accounts to undermine Hong Kong protests -- Reuters
Twitter, Facebook accuse China of HK discord campaign -- AFP
Hong Kong protests: Twitter and Facebook remove Chinese accounts -- BBC
Twitter and Facebook crack down on accounts linked to Chinese campaign against Hong Kong -- The Guardian
Facebook, Twitter remove Chinese accounts attacking Hong Kong protesters -- UPI
Facebook and Twitter Say China Is Spreading Disinformation in Hong Kong -- The New York Times
Twitter accuses China of anti-Hong Kong protest campaign -- DW
Twitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protests -- AP
How China Used Facebook and Twitter to Bombard Hong Kong With Propaganda -- Vice News

2 comments:

Carl said...

Facebook and twitter the defenders of free speech? Give me a break!

Bob Huntley said...

I closed my 6 yr Facebook account four years ago but I wanted to post on a site that only allowed access through Facebook. I opened a new FB account, different name, and that is all I gave them.

Three times over a few months I was unable to logon to that site and each time I got a message that someone had hacked my account. The first time I went through the process and got back on. They tried to get me to give up more information to help them identify me in such situations. I didn't do it.

The next two times I just waited and in a week, I was able to use the site for logon again in spite of the hacking. I guess they are used to dealing with little kids.

I closed the new account a couple months ago.