Tuesday, December 3, 2019

We Now Know Why Former Soviet Leader Gorbachev Starred In A Pizza Hut Commercial In 1997



Boing Boing: The time Mikhail Gorbachev starred in a Pizza Hut commercial

In 1997, Mikhail Gorbachev, the final leader of the Soviet Union, needed some cash. So he made a Pizza Hut commercial. Of course there was more to the story than that, but not really so much. He reportedly received $1 million for the spot. "I thought that it is a people' s matter -- food," Gorbachev told the New York Times after the filming. "This is why if my name works for the benefit of consumers, to hell with it -- I can risk it." Over at Foreign Policy, Paul Musgrave tells the tale:

Read more ....

Update #1: Gorbachev's Pizza Hut Ad Is His Most Bizarre Legacy (Foreign Policy)
Update #2: US Media Reveals Why Former USSR President Gorbachev Starred in Pizza Hut Ad (Sputnik)

WNU Editor: When I first saw the ad I just shook my head. Twenty-two years later .... I am still shaking my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you have a different opinion about Donald Trump's adverts (who also did Pizza Hut).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zYqFaygkGU

Anonymous said...

Did Gorbachev receive a pension?

Did Gorbachev reside in Socal in the 1990s?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gorbachev_Foundation