Showing posts with label U.S. missile test. Show all posts
Showing posts with label U.S. missile test. Show all posts

Thursday, November 2, 2023

US Minuteman III Ballistic Missile Self Destructs During Test Launch

 

Warzone/The Drive: Minuteman III Ballistic Missile Self Destructs During Test Launch  

Though the failure of a Minuteman III missile is concerning, it is precisely why these tests are routinely carried out.  

The U.S. Air Force says an unarmed LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) was "safely terminated" over the Pacific Ocean after an unspecified "anomaly" occured during a routine test launch overnight. A delegation from South Korea also observed this particular test, in line with a new bilateral strategic cooperation agreement the country signed with the United States earlier this year. 

The most recent LGM-30G missile test flight came to an end at approximately 12:06 AM PST, according to a press release from Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC). The missile had been launched from a test silo at what is now Vandenberg Space Force Base and U.S. Space Force's Space Launch Delta 30 was the unit that commanded the termination – a euphemism for the self-destruction of the Minuteman III. 

Read more .... 

US Minuteman III Ballistic Missile Self Destructs During Test Launch

 Minuteman III test provides vital data before termination -- Air Force Global Strike Command AFSTRAT-AIR  

U.S. Air Force blows up Minuteman III in test flight after post-launch anomaly -- CNBC/Reuters  

Space Force Terminates ICBM During Test Launch Due To Anomaly -- Air and Space Forces Magazine  

US blows up ICBM after test flight ‘anomaly’ -- RT

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

U.S. Test Launches A Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile

Still image captures the launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile Sept. 6, 2023, from Vandenberg Space Force Base. (Vandenberg Space Force Base)  

FOX News: US launches unarmed ICBM to test nuclear capabilities amid tensions with North Korea 

Test launch of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile meant to ensure 'safety, security, effectiveness, and readiness' of the weapons system, Vandenberg Space Force Base says 

The U.S. Air Force and Space Force collaborated on a test missile launch Wednesday amid rising tensions with North Korea. Air Force Global Strike Command test launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) from the Vandenberg Space Force Base. 

"The purpose of the ICBM test launch program is to validate and verify the safety, security, effectiveness, and readiness of the weapon system," a statement from Vandenberg Space Force Base read.  

Read more ....  

Update #1: U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California (CBS)  

Update #2: US Air Force tests nuclear-capable long-range missile (CNN)  

WNU Editor: The U.S. Missile Defense Agency has delayed another test .... Missile Defense Agency cancels test of Long-Range Discrimination Radar (Defense News).

Friday, February 10, 2023

U.S. Test Launches ICBM Into Pacific

A team of Air Force Global Strike Command Airmen launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile equipped with a test reentry vehicle at 11:01 p.m. Pacific Time Feb. 9 from Vandenberg Space Force Base, Calif. This test launch is part of routine and periodic activities intended to demonstrate that the United States' nuclear deterrent is safe, secure, reliable and effective to deter twenty-first century threats and rear allies. (U.S. Space Force photo by Senior Airman Rocio Romo) 

US News and World Report: U.S. Test Launches ICBM Into Pacific as Part of Nuclear ‘Deterrence Mission’ 

Military officials said the test launch of the Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile serves as a reminder that the U.S. can ‘deter twenty-first century threats.’ 

The U.S. Air Force test-launched an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean neighborhood of its adversaries in China and North Korea late Thursday at a time of growing international concern that brewing tensions among nuclear powers could escalate into a new arms race. 

Air Force Global Strike Command described the launch of the Minuteman III missile, which was unarmed, as “routine” and designed to reassure allies. But it also seemed to acknowledge the growing bellicose language from American adversaries in recent weeks.  

Read more .... 

U.S. Test Launches ICBM Into Pacific 

Minuteman III test launch showcases readiness of U.S. nuclear force's safe, effective deterrent -- Space Force  

US test launches unarmed intercontinental ballistic missile -- Defense News/AP  

US launches unarmed ICBM into Pacific Ocean amid China, North Korea tensions -- FOX News

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Russia Has Been Notified That The U.S. Air Force Will Test Launch An ICBM Wednesday Morning

LGM-30G Minuteman III version is the only land-based ICBM in service in the United States  

RFE: U.S. Military Announces Test Launch Of ICBM, Notifies Russia 

The U.S. military will test launch an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on September 7, the Pentagon says, adding that Russia has been notified. 

A Pentagon spokesman described the test as routine and said it was meant to demonstrate the readiness of the U.S. military's nuclear forces and "provide confidence in the security and effectiveness of the nation's nuclear deterrent." 

It will be the second test launch of the country's nuclear defenses in less than a month. The last occurred on August 16 and tested a Minuteman III ICBM that carried a test reentry vehicle, which in a strategic conflict could be armed with a nuclear warhead. The vehicle traveled about 6,760 kilometers to the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands in the western Pacific.  

Read more ....  

WNU Editor: Notifying Russia that this test was going to happen is normal protocol. But making the announcement ahead of the test is not .... Pentagon Makes "Unusual" Announcement Ahead Of ICBM Launch (Zero Hedge). To me this is just another sign on how tense and dangerous current U.S. - Russia relations are at the moment.  

Update: This ICBM was successfully tested early this morning .... US launches Minuteman III ICBM in show of nuclear readiness (FOX News). More here .... Pentagon launches Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile from California in test to show US is nuclear ready in the arms race with Russia and China (Daily Mail). 

U.S. Air Force To Test Launch An ICBM Wednesday Morning  

Pentagon announces another test of the Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile TOMORROW in latest move in the arms race against China and Russia -- Daily Mail  

U.S. military to test launch an ICBM Wednesday, notifies Russia -- Reuters  

US announces intercontinental ballistic missile test -- DW  

US military to test launch ICBM on Wednesday -- The Hill

Sunday, May 30, 2021

U.S. Missile Test Fails To Intercept Mid-Range Ballistic Missile Target

FILE PHOTO: A ballistic missile target launches from the Pacific Missile Range Facility at Barking Sands, Kauai, Hawaii, September 12, 2018 © Ryan Keith / Missile Defense Agency via DVIDS  

Daily Mail (Reuters): US fails to intercept medium-range ballistic missile test target 

* The MDA, an agency under the Department of Defense, routinely conducts missile defense tests 

A U.S. warship failed to intercept a medium-range ballistic missile test target on Saturday, the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said. 

 'The objective of the test was to demonstrate the capability of a ballistic missile defense-configured Aegis ship to detect, track, engage and intercept a medium-range ballistic missile target' with a salvo of two Standard Missile-6 (SM-6) Dual II missiles, the agency said in a statement.  

Read more .... 

More News On The Recent U.S. Missile Test Failure  

Missile Defense Test Fails off Kauai Following Appearance by Russian Spy Ship -- Military.com/The Honolulu Star-Advertiser 

US warship FAILS to intercept mid-range ballistic missile target… amid reports of ‘Russian spy ship’ off Hawaii -- RT  

US Aegis Combat System Fails to Intercept Target, Pentagon Agency Says -- Sputnik

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

U.S. Air Force Aborts Test Launch Of An Unarmed Minuteman III Nuclear Missile At Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

 

Air Force Times: Air Force aborts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III nuclear missile 

The Air Force said Wednesday it called off a test launch of an unarmed Minuteman III nuclear missile at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, after the weapon turned itself off during the final countdown. 

The intercontinental ballistic missile, fired from an underground silo at the coastal base, “experienced a ground abort prior to launch,” the service said in a release. 

“During terminal countdown, the missile computer detected a fault in the sequence of checks it does prior to launching. Upon detection of this fault, it shut itself down,” just as the system is designed to do, Air Force Global Strike Command spokesperson Carla Pampe told Air Force Times. 

USAF will investigate the root cause of the problem. “There has not been an incident like this in recent memory,” Pampe added.  

Read more .... 

More News On The U.S. Air Force Aborting A Test Launch Of An Unarmed Minuteman III Nuclear Missile At Vandenberg Air Force Base  

Air Force aborts ICBM test before launch -- The Hill  

US Air Force aborts the planned test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile for unexplained reasons -- Business Insider  

Air Force Aborts ICBM Test After Problem on the Ground -- Military.com  

US Air Force to investigate aborted ICBM test flight -- Space News