Sunday, November 28, 2010

An Inside Look At The Misery Of Life In North Korea (Video)



North Korea's Undercover Journalists Reveal Misery Of Life In Dictatorship -- The Telegraph

With its ruthless dictator, network of forced labour camps and iron grip of its ruling party, North Korea is the last country one might expect to see a middle-aged woman berating a policeman for demanding a bribe.

But extraordinary video images smuggled out of North Korea, combined with reports of graffiti and posters critical of the regime, indicate a growing willingness among a previously cowed public to speak out and demand change.

Such dissent would once have been unthinkable in the reclusive state, but now hunger and plummeting living standards are now triggering demands for freedom - something that no North Korean has ever experienced.

Read more ....

My Comment: These images remind me of the stories that my father told me of how life was like for him growing up in Ukraine during the great famine in 1932-33. Disturbing does not even come close to how I feel.

South Koreans are also seeing these images of their Northern cousins suffering .... and trust me .... many are pissed off with the North Korean elite in a manner that we in the West,China, or anywhere else can comprehend.

Is there a breaking point fast approaching .... if I was a South Korean I would say yes, if I was a North Korean, I would have said yes years ago.

Kudos to the men who filmed these videos. If they were caught in north Korea, execution or death in a labor camp would have been their outcome.

1 comment:

Wayne Concord said...

I read Harvest of Sorrow when I was 19. It was one of the books that destroyed any illusions I had about government central planning. I'd like to see a free North Korea in my lifetime, but I hate to think about the conflagration that could erupt from the struggle.