Friday, November 5, 2010

Russian Spetsnaz Officer`s Diary On The Chechen War

The Diary of a Killer in Chechnya -- At War/New York Times

Every so often a lengthy newspaper or magazine article arrives that all but demands a fuller and even longer treatment. Such was the case in the Oct 31. issue of The Sunday Times magazine in London, which published translated excerpts from the diary of a Russian spetsnaz officer who served for more than a decade as one of the Kremlin’s shadowy fighters in the Chechen wars. (Access to the article is protected by a pay-to-view firewall; to read it, you’ll have to buy at least a temporary subscription.)

Read more ....

My Comment: This is a riveting account, and confirms what some of my Russian friends who served in Chechnya told me when I visited my family in Russia last year.

On a side note, a riveting photo gallery of the war(s) in Chechnya can be found here.

No comments: