Sunday, July 1, 2012

UK Troops Told In Afghanistan: 'Don't Shoot Unless You Are Shot At'

In the line of fire: British soldiers say a tactical change stopping them from firing first has left them at greater risk of death or injury while on patrol in Afghanistan

UK Troops Told: 'Don't Shoot Unless You Are Shot At... And Our Helmand Casualties Soar -- Daily Mail

* 11 UK soldiers gunned down in Helmand in past three months, compared to two in the same period last year
* Troops say they changed rules of engagement in response to U.S. efforts to cut civilian shootings

British soldiers in Afghanistan claim that new tactics are preventing them shooting at the Taliban until they have been fired at themselves – resulting in an alarming rise in the number of casualties.

The troops say they have had to change their procedures as part of American-led efforts to cut down on the number of civilians being wounded, but the new approach has made them more vulnerable.

In the past three months, 11 British soldiers have been killed by enemy gunfire in Helmand province, compared with just two in the same period last year.

Read more ....

My Comment: Unbelievable. But this junior non-commissioned officer says it best ....

.... ‘When I arrived in Helmand, my officers said our tactics were going to change.

‘They said that if I saw somebody carrying a rifle or a rocket launcher, I shouldn’t fire at him. Only if he shot at me or a member of my patrol, and I could see a muzzle flash from his rifle, could I use my weapon.

‘I was shocked and so were my mates. We are trained to close in and kill the enemy, not to let him stroll on, watch us and let him choose the best time to ambush us.


Indeed.

No comments: