Sunday, July 15, 2012

G.I. Janes

Captain Rebecca Murga with a patient at a women’s hospital in central Afghanistan. Courtesy of Rebecca Murga

G.I. Janes -- Rebecca Murga, New York Times

As a senior in college in 2001, I was coming out of a morning class when I passed a television and saw two planes crash into the Twin Towers. That was the day I decided to join the military.

I look back on that sunny September day, after two deployments and eight years in the military, and realize how naïve I was. Things then were black and white. After deployment, you realize there is no such thing as black and white. Just various shades of gray you try to sort through and understand.

Read more ....

My Comment: No question about it .... this is a must read.

1 comment:

Orion said...

It's not the plumbing, it's the Soldier.

One of my best Team Leaders, then Squad Leaders under me in Iraq and beyond is female. She's an excellent mechanic, and excellent Solider, and an excellent leader.

I've seen awesome female Soldiers, and horrible ones. Just like their male counterparts. My only preference is that they be held to the exact same standards that men are - Equality should be exactly that. Equal.

Orion