Saturday, November 3, 2012

An Inside Look at World War II's Bloodiest Battle

Soviet soldier waving the Red Banner over the central plaza of Stalingrad in 1943. Wikipedia

Revisiting Stalingrad An Inside Look at World War II's Bloodiest Battle -- Michael Sontheimer, Spiegel Online

A German historian has published a collection of unusually candid interviews with members of the Red Army that provides the first precise account of the battle of Stalingrad from the perspective of ordinary soldiers. They show that this chapter in history deserves a reappraisal.

At dawn on Jan. 31, 1943, the bloodiest battle of World War II came to an end for the top German commander in Stalingrad. Russian soldiers stood at the entrance to the basement of the Univermag department store in which the top-ranking German officers, including supreme commander Friedrich Paulus, had taken refuge. One day earlier, Adolph Hitler had promoted the leader of the German troops in Stalingrad to the rank of field marshal -- not so much as a sign of recognition as an implicit order to end his life rather than allow himself to be captured.

Read more ....

My Comment:
My father was an officer in an artillery unit that fought north of the city. Reading this Spiegel article brings back my own  recollections and thoughts of my father when he talked about Stalingrad .... the one and only conversation we ever had about Stalingrad. Sighhhh .... it was one of those very sober father-son talks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Books about WWII were (and still are) my friends growing up. Anything I could get my hands on about the Russo-German war amazed me. I do wonder sometimes if Russian kids truly understand the sacrifice put forth to fight this invasion. My first comments to a Russian are usually how much I am amazed with this war. My dream Russian vacation would be many of the battle sites. And I am sure I would be stunned into silence of having the privilege to stand on the same ground where so many hopes and dreams vanished forever in great efforts to defend their country. Astonishment comes to mind and even that seems a pitifully weak word for such an amazing struggle. To me, your dad (like his peer group) is a celebrity of the highest order.