Saturday, June 22, 2013

World War Z (A Review)



Brad Pitt And The Zombie Shark -- Daniel W. Drezner, Foreign Policy

How World War Z ruined the zombie apocalypse.

I had my concerns about the film version of World War Z from the first trailer. As the author of Theories of International Politics and Zombies, and a fan of Max Brooks's spellbinding novel, I've got some flesh in the game, as it were. I hoped to see a film version that at least nodded to the geopolitical complexities of the novel, which suggested that zombies would potentially exacerbate pre-existing interstate conflicts -- and star/producer Brad Pitt did as well. The pre-release buzz on the film did not make me any more sanguine. So, by the time I sat down for the New York premiere of the film, I tried to throw away any unrealistic hopes or expectations that this was going to be the zombie Citizen Kane. Besides, trailers can deceive, bad buzz has preceded good films, and this is a friggin' summer popcorn flick. Surely, the equation must hold: Brad Pitt + $150 million > Fast and Furious 6. Right?

Read more ....

Update: World War Z Zombie apocalypse now. -- Kurt Loder, Reason

My Comment: Saw the movie last night .... and even though I know that many have "panned" it .... I enjoyed it. It is under two hours .... great scenes .... the action flows surprisingly well .... the GF got nervous in the right spots .... and I left the theater feeling that I had a good time.

No comments: