Thursday, August 6, 2015

Shocking 360º Panoramic Images Of Hiroshima After The Atomic Bomb Attack

PANORAMA. Photographed by Shigeo Hayashi from a watchtower of the Hiroshima Prefectural Commerce Association, October 5, 1945. Location: Moto-machi. Distance from hypocenter: approx. 260m.

Hiroshima After The Atomic Bomb -- 360Cities – Panoramic Photography Blog

One day last year, a friend of mine stumbled across one of these images. Knowing that I am always interested in seeing historical 360º photos, he sent me the link. Panoramic photography has existed for more than a century, but I had not seen these before. Looking at these images, turning them around in a circle, is the strongest reminder I have had in a very long time of the real power of photography. The image above, even more so than all the other ones, is one of the most heartbreaking images I have ever seen.

I contacted the man running the site where the image was located. His name is Steven Starr, and he teaches at the University of Missouri. His website, www.nucleardarkness.org, is a resource for anyone who is interested in the danger of existing nuclear arsenals currently held in the world.

Read more ....

My Comment: The panoramic images of Hiroshima after the atomic bomb attack is a truly shocking thing to see. This is a must see.

No comments: