New Ukraine Leader Pleads For Unity As Protesters In Crimea Shout 'Russia, Russia' And Experts Say Moscow Might ANNEX Territory To Protect Its Naval Bases -- Daily Mail
* Olexander Turchynov has warned of the dangers of separatism
* It comes as pro-Russian crowds gather in southern region of Crimea
* Opposition leader Vitaly Klitschko also reveals he will stand in election
* Former Kremlin advisor warns annexation could happen within a week
* Move would be similar to Nazi Germany's takeover of Austria, he said
* Vladimir Putin 'sweeping aside Western warnings and preparing troops'
* Dmitry Medvedev said he did recognise new authorities in Kiev
Ukraine's new leader has made a desperate plea for unity as experts warn Russia might annex the increasingly tense region of Crimea.
Interim President Olexander Turchynov warned of the dangers of separatism following the ousting of President Viktor Yanukovych.
Addressing parliament, Mr Turchynov said he would meet law enforcement agencies to discuss the risk of separatism in regions with large ethnic Russian populations.
Separatism was a 'serious threat', he said.
Read more ....
My Comment: Crimea is 99% Russian .... and it has always been Russian. If a poll for independence (or unification with Russia) was to be done today .... it would garner an overwhelming percentage of the vote. The fact that it now belongs to Ukraine was a decision made by the Communist leadership in the 1950s as a sign of "friendship". My prediction .... if the Ukrainian nationalists who have taken over Kiev pursue an aggressive anti-Russian agenda (banning the language, discriminatory laws, etc.) .... that vote and push for independence or reunification with Russia is all but guarantee.