Thursday, March 13, 2014

Violent Clashes Between Ukrainians And Pro-Russian Break Out In The Ukrainian City Of Donetsk

)

Violent Clashes In Donetsk Between Ukrainians And Pro-Russian Groups As Moscow Moves Thousands Of Troops To Border -- Daily Mail

* Massive artillery drills launched in Russia's Southern Military District
* Ukraine's parliament votes to create a 60,000-strong National Guard
* Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was also talking tough
* And Obama declares U.S. will 'completely reject' Sunday's referendum

Violence has erupted in Ukraine's eastern city of Donetsk between Ukrainians and pro-Russian groups as Moscow moves thousands of troops to the border.

Fighting broke out at rallies staged by opposing demonstrators and 10 people were hurt.

Pro-Russian demonstrators shouted 'Russia, Putin!' and hurled eggs, bottles and other projectiles at rival demonstrators.

It comes as Russia confirmed today it has massed thousands of troops on its border with Ukraine as John Kerry warned of 'serious consequences' if Moscow tried to annex Crimea.

Read more ....

Update: Ukraine turmoil LIVE UPDATES -- RT

My Comment: My relatives in eastern Ukraine are telling me the same thing. Russian - Ukrainian families/towns/regions/etc. are splitting apart .... and when a demonstration breaks out there is always a counter (and usually violent) demonstration.

Update: Fatalities are now being reported.

6 comments:

James said...

Your relatives got a plan to avoid anything?

War News Updates Editor said...

Some of my relatives have moved to Russia. As to those who are staying .... they have friends and they will stay low. My aunt survived the Second World War .... she will survive this. To those who are stuck. I help by sending them money via through Western Union.

James said...

Well, anyone who survived WWII on or near the Eastern Front sure as hell doesn't need my advice. Good luck to them.

War News Updates Editor said...

LOL. James .... I have to deal with my aunt and her sister (my 88 year old mom) .... not you. Consider yourself lucky.

Jokes aside .... it is the not knowing that worries everyone right now. And many are genuinely worry that Russian military forces are going to intervene in eastern Ukraine. I am hearing some troubling noises from my friends in Moscow .... there are reports that the Russian government is now starting to limit or block Russian opposition websites/blogs/independent news websites/certain social forums/etc.. If they are doing this, it tells me that they are positioning themselves to do something drastic. I will be posting more on this story later tonight.

James said...

There's probably going to be some type of "reply" to Kerry's ultimatum.

James said...

What makes me wonder is what this is all about. I know to you and your relatives it's as about as big as it gets, but I don't quite understand Putin's behavior. Why the Ukraine, why now. It's obvious he's had plans on this for a while, but his military build up is so odd. There is no one who can or will face militarily, especially from the West. He knows this changes his perceived position in the world forever. There's more, but to bed. Tell your Ukraine friend to not look to the West, they are on their own.