Thursday, March 6, 2014

WNU Editor's Note: Expect Better Pictures On This Blog



Getty Makes 35 Million Images Free, Embeddable -- CBC

Photo giant Getty Images has launched a controversial new feature that allows more than 35 million images from its vast library to be freely shared via blogs and social media.

The world's largest photo agency unveiled its new embedded viewer feature on Wednesday.

It allows for the legal, non-commercial use of millions of its news, sports, entertainment, archive and stock images — a vast array of photos that range from significant figures (from Barack Obama to Marilyn Monroe) to shots from popular annual events such as last weekend's Oscars and other star-studded award shows.

Read more ....

Update: Getty gives away 35 million images for free -- Christian Science Monitor

My Comment: As a blogger .... I am overjoyed with this new change of policy. I always like putting pictures/videos on each of my blog posts, but because of copyright issues I have always been very careful on what pictures are posted, and what I do post .... it is always with the proper credit. For example .... I do not post AP pictures (even with the proper credit) .... they will complain/threaten me if I do not remove it. Government pictures/Reuters with the proper credit/Wikipedia - public domain/ etc. .... these pictures are do.

The link to Getty's database is here.

No comments: