'We Were Told To Stay Put': Passengers Describe How Rescue Workers Told Them To Remain On Sinking Ferry Off South Korea Leaving At Least Four Dead And 300 Unaccounted For -- Daily Mail
* Dozens of boats, helicopters and divers are trying to rescue hundreds of passengers who are unaccounted for
* Officials say 164 people have been rescued so far, but the coast guard fear the number of casualties could rise
* More than 300 people on board were high school students who were on a trip at the time
* Ferry was sailing to the southern island of Jeju when it sent a distress call around after it began leaning to one side
* The government said about 95 per cent of the ship was submerged when the rescue operation began
* A 27-year-old woman named Park Ji-yeong and high school student Jeong Cha Woong are among the dead
* Passenger, who was rescued from the ferry, says he is 'certain' people are still trapped inside
A huge search operation is still underway off the coast of South Korea as rescuers continued looking for 300 passengers missing after a ferry carrying mostly schoolchildren sank.
At least four people have died, but officials fear the number of casualties could rise 'drastically' with hundreds still trapped inside the submerged vessel.
As night fell, emergency services claimed they had saved 164 people from the boat, which had 470 people on board.
Dozens of fishing vessels, helicopters and divers desperately scrambled to rescue people on the 6,825-ton ferry in what emergency services are calling the country's biggest peacetime disaster in 20 years.
Passengers, who were taken to safety on nearby Jindo Island, described how the emergency services told them to stay on board the ship, despite the fact 95 per cent of it had submerged.
Read more ....
More News On Today's Ferry Disaster In South Korea
LIVE:Hundreds missing as S Korea ferry sinks -- BBC
Four dead, 284 missing in ferry sinking -- Yonhap News Agency
Hundreds feared dead in sunken ferry -- Korea Joong Ang Daily
Ferry disaster leaves at least 4 dead, 284 missing -- Korea Herald
Rescuers search dark, cold sea for survivors of shipwreck off South Korea -- CNN
Hundreds missing as S Korea ferry sinks -- BBC
Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes -- Reuters
292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster -- AP
South Korea says 293 missing in ferry disaster -- Washington Times
Around 300 missing as ferry sinks off the coast of South Korea -- The Guardian
Fears for 300 trapped in South Korean ferry -- The Telegraph
Hundreds missing after South Korea ship sinks -- Al Jazeera
Rescue effort under way as ferry sinks off S. Korean coast -- France 24
At least 4 dead, 284 missing after ferry sinks off South Korean coast -- FOX News
Ship in Korea Ferry Disaster Designed to Withstand Damage, Not Foolproof -- WSJ
USS Bonhomme Richard Heading To Capsized South Korea Ferry -- Stars and Stripes
Survivors tell of panic on board as ferry tilts, then capsizes -- CNN
South Korea ferry disaster survivors describe chaotic scenes -- The Guardian
Hundreds missing as S Korea ferry sinks (Pictures) -- BBC
Ferry sinks off coast of South Korea - in pictures -- The Telegraph
In pictures: scramble to rescue ferry passengers -- The Telegraph
South Korean ship sinks (Photos) -- CNN