Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Kremlin's Propaganda War On The Internet Is In Full Swing


The Kremlin's Troll Army -- Daisy Sindelar, The Atlantic

Moscow is financing legions of pro-Russia Internet commenters. But how much do they matter?

Like many people with access to the Internet and a holster full of gadgets, Vladimir Nesterenko is living a double existence. In real life, the 49-year-old Kiev native is a published author and darling of the Ukrainian counterculture. Online, he's "Adolfych"—a Russian-speaking mischief-maker who uses his Twitter, Facebook, and LiveJournal accounts to comment, sometimes thoughtfully and often profanely, on the deepening conflict with Russia.

"I know a lot of Muscovites have little dachas in Abkhazia," he wrote in a recent post. "But could these Muscovites have afforded their little dachas if they hadn't gotten rid of the Georgians and turned a flourishing region into cheap fucking shit, like they're doing now in Crimea?"

Read more ....

My Comment: This is why I limit my use of Russian/Ukrainian sources of news on the Ukraine civil war .... and as for social media .... I rarely if ever use those sources. I also always identify my sources of information, this is my way of revealing who is saying what .... and from where. But is there a Kremlin troll army out there .... definitely.

1 comment:

James said...

"This is why I limit my use of Russian/Ukrainian sources of news on the Ukraine civil war .... and as for social media .... I rarely if ever use those sources. I also always identify my sources of information, this is my way of revealing who is saying what .... and from where."

Which is one of the reasons I'm addicted to this site.