Smoke rises after an airstrike on the rebel held al-Rashideen neighbourhood, Western Aleppo province, Syria July 31, 2016. REUTERS/AMMAR ABDULLAH
Reuters: Rebels launch major assault to break siege of opposition-held Aleppo
Syrian rebel fighters launched on Sunday a major assault on government-held southwestern parts of Aleppo in the first major drive to regain ground after major losses last week when the army and its allies tightened its siege of opposition-held parts of the northern city.
A rebel military command center that includes the newly formed group Islamist Jabhat Fatah al Sham, the former al-Qaeda linked Nusra Front and Ahrar al Sham said they had taken over army positions in the southwestern government-held parts of the city in the first few hours of launching the battle to break the siege imposed on rebel-held areas.
The Syrian army confirmed on state media that rebels had waged an offensive but said its fighters pushed back insurgents from an airforce artillery base and denied insurgents had captured the Hikma school.
Read more ....
More News On Syrian Rebels Launching An Offensive To Break The Aleppo Siege
Syrian rebels launch push aimed at breaking Aleppo siege -- AP
Syria forces, rebels battle in Aleppo -- Gulf Times
Rebels launch offensive to break Aleppo siege -- RUDAW
Militants, rebels launch offensive aimed at easing siege of Aleppo -- Middle East Eye
Roundup: Intense battles rage in Aleppo, as rebels unleash broad offensive -- Xinhua