US Secretary of State John Kerry is greeted by Shehab Al-Fahim (C) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, upon his arrival in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, November 15, 2016. (Reuters)
Al Jazeera: Kerry announces Yemen truce, FM says 'not interested'
Yemeni government says it is not "interested" in Kerry's truce announcement, accusing US secretary of interference.
The Arab coalition and Houthi rebels fighting in Yemen have agreed to a temporary cessation of hostilities starting on November 17, and to work towards installing a national unity government, US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday.
However, shortly after Kerry's announcement, Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdel-Malek al-Mekhlafi said his government was not interested in a ceasefire or political talks with the Houthi rebels.
An Arab alliance, made up of Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, launched a military campaign against Houthi fighters and their allies in March last year to support President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government following the rebels' seizure of the capital, Sanaa, in 2014.
Read more ....
WNU Editor: It looks like no one is on the same page on this U.S. ceasefire proposal.
More News On The Yemen Government Rejecting US Secretary of State John Kerry's Announcement Of A Yemen Ceasefire
Kerry announces Yemen ceasefire over objections of government -- Reuters
Kerry: Yemen rebels agree to a cease-fire, starting Thursday -- AP
Yemeni government rejects US-suggested ceasefire with Houthi rebels -- The Independent
Yemen govt ‘not interested’ in Kerry’s deal -- Al Arabiya
Yemeni government dismisses Kerry ceasefire plan -- The National