Chinese structures are pictured at the disputed Spratlys in South China Sea April 21, 2017. REUTERS/Erik De Castro/File Photo
Reuters: Philippines, China play down Duterte's talk of war in disputed sea
The Philippines and China played down on Monday a warning by President Rodrigo Duterte that China would go to war if the Philippines drilled for oil in the disputed South China Sea.
The outspoken Philippine president has been facing criticism at home for being what some people see as too soft on China over a long-running territorial dispute.
Duterte met China's President Xi Jinping for talks in Beijing last week and later said Xi had warned him there would be war if the Philippines tried to explore for oil in a disputed stretch of sea.
Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said their meeting was frank and friendly, and the discussion was largely about preventing conflict, not threatening it.
Read more ....
WNU Editor: The Chinese are shrugging off this threat of war .... South China Sea dispute: Xi Jinping govt sidesteps Philippines' president Duterte's claims of war threat (First POst/AFP).
More News On The Philippine Foreign Minister Saying Talk Of China Threatening War Is Not Serious
Beijing and Manila end talks as ‘war’ threat recalled -- South China Morning Post
Philippine official downplays alleged China war threats -- Washington Post/AP
China War Talk Not Serious, Philippine Foreign Minister Says -- Bloomberg
The Philippines is starting damage control after Duterte claims China threatened war -- Business Insider/Reuters
China's Threat Of War Against Philippines Is Baseless Scare Tactic -- Anders Corr, Forbes