Monday, April 6, 2020

Will Russia Cancel It's Massive Victory Day Parade And Celebrations On May 9?



The Guardian: Russia defies calls to halt Victory Day parade rehearsals

Defence ministry presses on with plans for 9 May event with 15,000 troops, despite coronavirus pandemic.

Russia is holding rehearsals for its Victory Day parade, scheduled for 9 May despite the coronavirus crisis, as the Kremlin resists cancelling a patriotic holiday with major political significance.

The Russian president, Vladimir Putin, is supposed to host France’s Emmanuel Macron and other world leaders at a military parade to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the second world war. The event is a significant historical landmark for Russia and a coveted photo opportunity to claim Putin’s re-emergence from political isolation in the west.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: For the moment all preparations and rehearsals will continue (see above video). In Russia everyone goes out in their city/town/village on May 9 to watch their version of a Victory Day parade. If you want to infect a good portion of your population with this disease, I cannot think of a better way. I personally hope they will cancel, but they will not. This is the 75th anniversary of the defeat of the 'Nazis, and everything is being done to make it the biggest celebration since 1945. The only scenario where I can see them cancelling everything is if the hospitals are overflowing with patients, the morgues are filled, bodies are on the street, and no one is being buried because the grave-diggers are either sick or dead. Then, and only then, they may cancel it (and that is a big maybe). On a personal note. I am/was suppose to be in the Russian city of Vyazma with my mother on this day. It is a city that is about 100km west of Moscow, and my mom (along with her two sisters) are the last surviving members of the city that was destroyed by the Germans during the Second World War. The city was going to honour my mom, but with all international flights into Russia cancelled or restricted, and with the Covid-19 coronavirus raging in Canada where I live, I told my mom and the people that I know in Vyazma that such a trip and my mom's participation will not be possible. They understand, but they still want to honour my mom on what she and my family went through, and they will do so in the future.

No comments: