Sunday, March 20, 2022

Russians Are Finding Ways To Breach The Digital Iron Curtain

© Chelsea Charles for The Washington Post 

Washington Post: Some Russians are breaking through Putin’s digital iron curtain — leading to fights with friends and family  

Days after Russian tanks rolled into Ukraine, Maria, a 37-year-old mother in western Russia, downloaded a virtual private network, an effort to circumvent the blockade she saw descending across the country’s Internet. 

The instinct proved correct. As the Kremlin began reversing years of relative Internet freedom and restricting American social networks and Western news sites, the VPN proved a lifeline, allowing her to chat with a friend in the United States and read updates on Facebook and Instagram, refreshing news about the war every 10 to 20 minutes. Maria thinks the conflict is a “tragedy” and says reading about it leaves her with “anger, sadness and empathy.” 

Read more .... 

WNU Editor: Thank God for VPN. I told all of my Russian friends and family members to download VPN a few years back, and all of them did. Needless to say they are all happy that they can still surf Western news and social media sites, especially the younger members of the family. 

As to having fights with friends and family over politics. 

I am never vocal in Russia among my family and friends in my opposition to Putin. I do not have to. They all know what I think and feel. 

And among those who do not know me. I always start by criticizing Putin on a point that everyone agrees on (corruption being my favorite), and from there work into other areas using reason and logic in explaining why I oppose him. I recognize that I have been lucky. I have never had any negative blow-back from these "arguments". 

But I do know times are changing. I am no longer alone in opposing Putin. This war has made the youth of Russia angry at their government and at Putin personally. I know because their parents are telling me on what is happening, and the above Washington Post confirms it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soon all true Americans wanting real news will have to use VPN also


Hunter Biden: After rigging the elections, the media attempts to rig your mind

By Rajan Laad
After more than two years of the mainstream media dismissing and suppressing news about Hunter Biden’s laptop, The New York Times finally conceded that the story was authentic.

Anonymous said...

I always start by criticizing Joe Biden on a point that everyone agrees on (corruption being my favorite), and from there work into other areas using reason and logic in explaining why I oppose him. I recognize that I have been lucky. I have never had any negative blow-back from these "arguments".

Oh wait that was a dream. You point to the laptop and 51 former intel officials say it is false. Two years later you learn that it was real.

Anonymous said...

"To claim that the media is corrupt or compromised is an understatement, because it assumes that the media is an independent entity that has been influenced by an external force.

The current media is in fact a propaganda wing for the Democrats. Think of it as a department within the Democrat party and suddenly it all makes sense.

Their function is to glorify the Democrats, everything else is a nuisance that has to be destroyed. Their actions are purposeful and so is their propaganda."


Amen to that

Anonymous said...

find msm corrupt? do not read any one of them at this site! now what?

Anonymous said...

That is the problem with you 1:13. You are literally uneducated.

We can measure things with great precision using lasers or other metrological tools. But how did we obtain those tools which can measure so accurately from tools that were less accurate?

You can do the same with trash, fake news sources. That is how I will do it.

Anonymous said...

Lapides find a better argument.