Monday, March 28, 2022

The Last EU Train Has Left Russia

AFP: Last EU train out of Russia arrives in Helsinki 

Just after 7pm on Sunday, the Allegro express train from St Petersburg pulled into the Finnish capital, marking the closure of the last rail link between Russia and the EU. 

Finnish railway operator VR announced on Friday that it was suspending the Allegro service, which since Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been regularly sold-out with Russians eager to get out before Western sanctions make leaving all but impossible.

"Now that I've picked up my cats I don't have a reason to go back, I have everything that's most valuable to me," said Alex, who got off the train wheeling a carry case containing his two long-haired pets.  The Muscovite who has lived for some years in Helsinki gave only his first name.  

Read more .... 

WNU Editor: The only way to now leave Russia is flights via Turkey and Belgrade, or by car.

No comments: