Thursday, March 4, 2010

Is A Female Soldier In Iraq More Likely To Be Raped By A Fellow Soldier Than Killed By Enemy Fire

US soldiers enter Sadr City, March, 2007. US Army Photo

Sexual Assaults On Female Soldiers: Don't Ask, Don't Tell -- Time Magazine

What does it tell us that female soldiers deployed overseas stop drinking water after 7 p.m. to reduce the odds of being raped if they have to use the bathroom at night? Or that a soldier who was assaulted when she went out for a cigarette was afraid to report it for fear she would be demoted — for having gone out without her weapon? Or that, as Representative Jane Harman puts it, "a female soldier in Iraq is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire."

Read more ....

My Comment: My blood pressure is raising again. Stories like this pi_ me off. Long time readers of this blog know that I am an advocate of treating rape in war zones as a war crime.

On a side note, I have been trying to find out what are the crime stats for US military personnel in both the US and abroad. If anyone knows a good link, I would appreciate it.

No comments: