Friday, August 16, 2013

An Eyewitness Account On What Is Happening On The Streets Of Egypt

(Click on Image to Enlarge)

This Is What It Looks Like Just Before the Muslim Brotherhood Jumps You -- Aymann Ismail, Animal New York

As the recent death toll in Egypt surpasses 500, news of Muslim Brotherhood supporters being slaughtered in Rabaa Al-Adawiya Square has been an especially tragic manifestation of the powder-keg that is “post-revolutionary” Egypt. Just days before, our photographer found himself embroiled in an MB protest near to that now-tragic location. While this story does not in any way compare to the events that are currently transpiring there, it might shine a light on the varied make-up of the protesters and on just how tense, chaotic and unpredictable the situation in Cairo is.

All I smell is sweat and spray-paint. All I see are fists. I’m thinking of last year, watching protesters pull a riot cop out of Tahrir Square into an alley and telling Bucky, “That guy is dead.”

Now I’m thinking, “I’m that guy.”

That night, I was planning on going to my cousin’s wedding. I spent the last five days of Ramadan with my family in Alexandria, Egypt’s second largest city, then went to my aunt’s in Cairo. At 4pm, near El-Hegaz Square, a Muslim Brotherhood-organized protest marches past her balcony.

Read more ....

My Comment: Aymann Ismail was/is lucky.

No comments: