Friday, August 1, 2014

How To Survive A War Zone With Little If Any Military Training

U.S. Army Sgt. Jerry D. White (left), Royal Thai Master Sgt. Satit Sitparsert (center) and U.S. Army Spc. James M. Lupo hold their fighting stance during hand-to-hand combat training as part of Exercise Cobra Gold '97 in Tak, Thailand, on May 15, 1997. Cobra Gold '97 is the latest in a continuing series of U.S. /Thai military exercises designed to ensure regional peace and strengthen the ability of the Royal Thai Armed Forces to defend Thailand. The training will include joint combined air, land and sea operations. Cobra Gold is the largest strategic mobility exercise involving the U.S. Pacific Command forces this year. White and Lupo are attached to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry. Sitparsert is attached to the Thai 3rd Regiment, 17th Infantry. DoD photo by Spc. Christopher R. Salazar, U.S. Army.

How Do You Survive In A War Zone With No Military Training? -- Quora Contributor, Slate

This question originally appeared on Quora.

Hi, I am Mark, and I am from Ukraine. We had around 40,000 troops mobilized due to the threat of military invasion from Russia. I wasn't mobilized, but if Russia attacks, I will volunteer anyway. Our government doesn't supply its soldiers with anything but an AK-47, a few mags, and military clothes—no gear.

I have never been in a service, and I have never had any kind of military training. For all that I know, there is a possibility I will be in a ditch shooting at Russians in a couple of weeks. I am asking anyone who had any military training for advice on how to survive during wartime. Thank you.

Answer by Daniel Kearns, former paratrooper, 82nd Airborne Division:

My Comment: I asked my father the same question when I was young .... my father served in the Soviet Army for four years in the Second World War .... and his answer was almost identical to what Daniel Kearns is saying in this post. Read it all .... and hope that you are never find yourself in such a position.

2 comments:

Ropestuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ropestuff said...

http://www.sniperflashcards.com/index.php

His cards are cool but he has some interesting points scattered through his site.