Friday, May 15, 2009

Gates Says Next-Generation Bomber Might Fly Without Pilot

This artists concept shows a possible future application of Automated Aerial Refueling in which an unmanned, long-range bomber is refueled in flight. Photo: Boeing Graphic.

From Government Executive.com:

Defense Secretary Robert Gates told lawmakers Thursday he is considering making the Air Force's next-generation long-range bomber a pilotless aircraft -- an ambitious undertaking that would put unmanned technologies at the forefront of U.S. offensive military capabilities.

The Air Force had planned to field a manned bomber in 2018, but Gates canceled the nascent program in the fiscal 2010 budget request sent to Capitol Hill last week. At a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Gates said advances in unmanned technologies since the Air Force launched the bomber program in 2006 were among the reasons he stopped the program, which was not under contract. "Does it need a pilot in it?" he asked.

Read more ....

My Comment: Sec. of Defense Gates is a dreamer .... I give him credit for that.

1 comment:

maininternet said...

This game is very useful information, very interesting news, thank you.

hi friend, I already add your backlink on my blog, if I may add a backlink in your blog, I was at the contest with the keyword 'Tukang Nggame' in my country, thank you.

my blog url:
http://site-tukang-nggame.blogspot.com

my blog title:
Site Tukang Nggame