Friday, May 29, 2009

Photographs Show Destruction And Despair Of Sri Lanka’s No-Fire Zone

The graves of Tamil Tiger fighters in their regimented lines contrast to the shallow and scattered graves of refugees that were also photographed.

From Times Online:

From the dusty helicopter window the ground looked like any number of other tropical war zones; the bombed-out buildings, the charred palm trees, the burnt-out abandoned vehicle.

Then there was the glint of the green lagoon and suddenly I was looking at the same unmistakable terrain — the inlets of water, the long, sandy spits that I had been gazing at for weeks on a map in London as I tried to imagine what it meant to be inside the no-fire zone.

It was four years since I had been to Sri Lanka and everything had changed. The shaky ceasefire, which was collapsing even then, had imploded with an all-out military offensive to drive out the Tamil Tigers.

Read more ....

My Comment: I can only imagine the hell that these people were going through. A full accounting of what happened will be done one day .... and I am sure that it is not going to be pretty.

No comments: