Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Berlin Wall Fell 20 Years Ago -- News Roundup

BRANDENBURG GATE (Photo from The Daily Mail)

The Night The Wall Came Down -- Times Online

The photographer Robert Wallis was in Berlin by chance on November 9, 1989. Here he shares his pictures and memories

On a grey Wednesday in November 1989 I was on a train from Amsterdam to Leipzig, on assignment (for Newsweek) to cover the growing anti-government demonstrations in East Germany. At the border East German guards decided that my visa was not stamped correctly and removed me from the train. Held overnight, I was put on the first train heading west the next day and disembarked in West Berlin. It was the afternoon of November 9. I phoned my editor in New York to say that I would stay for a few days to work on a new visa, then headed for bed, exhausted after my sleepless night at the border. A few hours later I was woken by New York calling back to say that they were watching “breaking news” on CNN that the Berlin Wall was about to open. In my bleary state I found this hard to believe but from outside I could hear car horns honking.

Read more ....

More News On The Berlin Wall

That amazing day when the Berlin Wall came down -- Brisbane Times
1989: Berlin Wall Falls Without a Shot Being Fired -- Voice of America
Gorbachev 'proud' of role in fall of Berlin Wall -- AFP
France to Mark Fall of Berlin Wall With Musical Tribute -- New York Times
Hotels booked out for Berlin Wall celebrations -- The Independent
Berlin Wall: an interactive timeline -- Financial Times
Putin says Berlin Wall's fall was inevitable -- Reuters
Fall of Berlin Wall Marks End of Cold War -- Voice of America
Krenz's Open-Door Policy Largely Proved a One-Way Trip -- Wall Street Journal
Twenty years on, how Germany has healed the scars of the Berlin Wall -- The Daily Mail
The Berlin Wall Fell Later -- Newsweek
People Power -- Konrad H. Jarausch, Forbes
Little Wall, Big Mac -- Forbes
Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall -- Forbes
Remember the Berlin Wall – and not only how it fell -- Mary Dejevsky, The Independent
Why Obama Won't Go to Berlin -- Rich Lowry, National Review

No comments: