Saturday, November 7, 2009

The First Casualty Of War: News Reports Match Misperception Of Civilian Deaths, Study Finds

According to Erika Falk, the U.S. media's bias against women candidates still persists. She claims that Hillary Clinton has received much less coverage than her male counterpart, Barak Obama. AP Photo/ Jim Cole

From Science Daily:

Science Daily (Nov. 6, 2009) — Researchers reporting in BioMed Central's open access journal Conflict and Health found that the discrepancy in media reporting of casualty numbers in the Iraq conflict can potentially misinform the public and contribute to distorted perceptions and gross underestimates of the number of civilians killed in the armed conflict.

Read more ....

My Comment: I do not need to read a scientific study to know how the message from the media distorts information and news .... I see and read about it everyday. There are many ways to overcome this situation, and using the internet is key. This is one of the main reasons why I am always trying my best to list multiple sources. 80% of the information is the same, but 20% is not .... and that is what I am always looking for.

No comments: