Monday, January 18, 2010

Pentagon Honors Civil Rights Leader’s Legacy

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates delivers opening remarks at the Pentagon's Jan. 14, 2010, observance of the legacy of human-rights advocate and Nobel Peace-prize recipient Martin Luther King Jr. DoD photo by R.D. Ward

From The U.S. Department of Defense:

WASHINGTON, Jan. 14, 2010 – Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates today challenged the Defense Department and all Americans to honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy during a Pentagon observance in advance of the Jan. 18 holiday that marks the civil rights leader’s birth.

“Remember and honor the great example Dr. King was,” Gates said to an audience of defense employees and military members at the Pentagon’s 25th annual observance of King’s life and work. “Celebrate all that we have accomplished together. … Keep working toward Dr. King’s dreams with all our might.”

Read more ....

My Comment: I should have posted this story earlier in the day .... forgot about it until now. I sometimes forget that as a Canadian, I do not have the same sensitivities that many in the U.S. may have towards race. My education, up bringing, history .... I am fortunate to never have experienced the animosities and hatreds that characterized the status of race relations in the U.S. since the beginning of it's founding.

Yup .... I know .... I am one lucky SOB.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

clearly, you do not understand MLK. That a war machine could possibly honor him...