Sunday, February 14, 2010

This Blogger Is Glad That He Does Not Live In Saudi Arabia

Jeddah residents say it's not too hard to get away with celebrating Valentine's Day. Photo AFP

Saudi Officials Put The Squeeze On Valentine's Day -- The L.A. Times

Saudi Arabia's religious police have banned anything related to the lovers holiday and warned store owners not to sell such merchandise. But many know how to circumvent the ban.

Reporting from Beirut - It isn't often that cynical singles and religious police find themselves on the same side, but in Saudi Arabia they are standing united against a common threat: Valentine's Day.

Saudi Arabia's religious enforcers, backed by the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, are doing their annual purge of anything Valentine-related: flowers, gifts, candy -- even the color red.

Read more ....

My Comment: If I was living in Saudi Arabia right now, I am sure that I will be prosecuted and immediately punished for all of the transgressions that I have committed in the past 24 hours .... cough, cough .... that is my "legitimate" excuse on why blogging has been light since yesterday.

Have no fear, I live in Canada which is enjoying the Olympic spirit .... regular blogging should/will/definitely return by the end of today.

No comments: