Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Incredible Story Of Medal Of Honor Recipient Leonard A. Funk


Badass Of The Week: Leonard A. Funk

With Memorial Day upon us here in the States, I once again feel compelled by some unspoken sense of duty to bring you a story about an American soldier who shot a lot of Nazis with an automatic weapon until most of them were no longer alive. I have no idea what the connection is between this particular weekend and my interest in hardcore gun battles blasting across the hedgerows of Normandy, though I presume it has something to do with the fact that I'm usually gearing myself up for a few days of watching Band of Brothers and barbecuing hamburgers (albeit with varying levels of success). Luckily these sorts of stories almost never seem to get old for some reason, which is a good thing. This is particularly true in the amazing case of U.S. Army First Sergeant Leonard A. Funk, Jr. This monstrous cannonball of de-Nazification was the most decorated American paratrooper of World War II, which is a feat of ultimate badassitude in and of itself. But the story behind this guy's Medal of Honor citation involves one of the most intense and stone-cold close-quarters gunfights I think I've ever read – an epic, bloody, super-brief showdown on par with some of the greatest standoffs this side of a John Woo movie.

Read more ....

Hat Tip: Extra Good Shit

My Comment: An incredible war story .... read it all.

No comments: