Sunday, August 8, 2010

How One Man Is Helping Iranian Dissidents To Evade Iran's Internet Censors

Photo: Austin Heap in San Francisco in June. Jeremy and Claire Weiss for Newsweek

Needles In A Haystack -- Newsweek

A 20-something named Austin Heap has found the perfect disguise for dissidents in their cyberwar against the world’s dictators.

For Austin Heap, there was nothing particularly remarkable about June 14, 2009. The 25-year-old computer programmer was home in his San Francisco apartment, spending his evening the same way he spent much of his free time: playing videogames. “I was sitting at my computer, as I usually do, playing Warcraft,” recalls Heap. “My boyfriend asked if I was following what was going on in Iran, and I said no. I was busy killing dragons.”

Read more ....

My Comment: I am surprised that Iran's 'internet police' has not found a way to stop this novel way for dissidents to mask their internet browsing and/or communications. Kudos to Austin Heap for helping those who view the web as a critical tool in their struggles against repression.

No comments: