Saturday, September 4, 2010

Changes In Wikileaks?

Efforts Afoot To Oust Assange As WikiLeaks Leader -- Newsweek

As frontman for wikileaks.org, Julian Assange, the floppy-haired Australian computer hacker, has become an internationally celebrated advocate for would-be whistle-blowers. But now that Swedish prosecutors have reopened a rape investigation of Assange and continue an inquiry into allegations that he was involved in "sexual coercion and sexual molestation"--all of which he denies--some fellow WikiLeaks activists are considering asking him to step down from his role as the group's public face, or ousting him if he won't leave voluntarily.

Read more ....

More News On Wikileaks

Letting dismay Leak out -- New York Post
WikiLeaks founder laying low -- UPI
As Wikileaks Turns: Julian Assange May Be On the Way Out -- New York Observer
Assange Is no Rapist - He Has Other Problems -- Cryptome
Rape probe against WikiLeaks founder reopened -- One India
Assange Calls Rape Probe 'Legal Circus' -- Wall Street Journal
Wikileaks founder admits sexual relations with accuser -- The Telegraph

My Comment: I am sure that many who support Wikileaks must feel uncomfortable with all of the allegations that are being leveled at the founder of Wikileaks. The proper thing for Julian Assange to do is to step down and let someone else be the public face of Wikileaks while he confronts these accusations .... but my gut tells me that his personality will not permit him to relinquish control .... hence for all of the leaks and rumors.

5 comments:

Mark said...

wow, so far it is only allegations.. right? Plus, they have been withdrawn once and then re-instated.. even though the re-instation makes it look bad, overall it should be said that these allegations should be verified before anyone has to step down.. otherwise I could accuse you of rape and you´d have to give up your blog tomorrow ;)

War News Updates Editor said...

If I had a number of people behind me that were supporting this blog with financial resources, technical help, media covergae, etc .... and I was accused of a crime, I would step aside .... the message is more important than the man.

But I would put in stone that if the charges do not stick .... I will be coming back.

Fortunately .... the "bad days" of my youth are behind me, and my priorities in life are friends and family, making wine, reading, another web project, and this blog.

Mark said...

I think it is too early for him to step aside -- you cannot just step aside because of allegations, it is equally or even more important to hold a system of "innocent until proven guilty"!


PS making wine, eh? sounds good :)

War News Updates Editor said...

In my other life I have a vineyard/winery (that makes icewine) in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada, and I am a collector of old and unique cognacs and scotches.

Yes .... I have a lot of friends. Hmmm ... but I think it is because of the of the booze.

Mark said...

very nice :)