Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Critical Report On The CIA


C.I.A. Role Is Faulted In Air Crash Over Peru -- New York Times

WASHINGTON — Central Intelligence Agency officers involved with a secret counternarcotics mission in the Peruvian jungle routinely violated agency procedures, tried to cover up their mistakes, and misled Congress immediately after a missionary plane was accidentally shot down in 2001, according to a blistering C.I.A. internal report released on Monday.

The declassified 2008 report by John L. Helgerson, then the C.I.A.’s inspector general, documents a culture of negligence and deceit inside the C.I.A. program in Peru. The report also details a pattern of C.I.A. stonewalling that included keeping results of a C.I.A. review of the 2001 downing of the plane from the White House and the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Read more
....

More News On The CIA Responsibility For The Accidental Shooting Down Of A Missionary Plane In Peru

CIA blames own mistakes for missionary plane shootdown -- Alertnet
CIA releases report into 2001 Peru plane shootdown -- Mercury News/AP
CIA punished 16 officers in Peru plane shootdown -- AP
CIA blames own mistakes for missionary plane shootdown -- Business Recorder

My Comment: This report is long overdue, and I can only hope it will give some solace to the family. Unfortunately, the punishments that have been meted within the CIA are minor and (probably) inconsequential.

No comments: