Monday, March 14, 2011

An Eyewitness Account On The Devastation In Japan

(Click on Image to Enlarge)
There is nothing left: A woman surveys the ravaged town of Minami Sanriku

Hell On Earth: I've Seen 20 Wars. But Nothing Prepared Me For This -- The Daily Mail

* Channel 4 News journalist only Western reporter to make it to the shattered coastal town of Minami Sanriku

* Scene is 'reminiscent of the photographs of Nagasaki or Hiroshima after the A bombs were dropped'

The first thing you notice is the silence which seems to hang over the place. There is no sound as we approach this once-thriving coastal town.

Driving round the final bend in the mountain road before making the descent into Minami Sanriku, nothing can quite prepare you for the sight of such destruction.

In my 30 years as a war correspondent I have covered more than 20 conflicts and several major earthquakes, but I have never seen anything on this scale.

Read more ....

My Comment
: I have been working all day and night (we had to rack the wine), so I have missed most of the news coverage today. But reading this story summed it all up on what is happening there .... when a veteran reporter who has witnessed numerous wars and several major earthquakes is stunned by the devastation in Japan .... you just know that it is bad. More telling for me is when I looked at some of the amateur video that is now hitting the internet, the sudden appearance and devastation caused by this tsunami is incredible, and while Japan has always been ready for a major earthquake, it is clear that they were not ready for the tsunami.

No comments: